Listen up curls, this is the latest hair trend that’s sure to grow this year (thanks to its unswervingly feminine appeal and low maintenance approach.) Runways to red carpets, we witnessed ridiculously pretty curls everywhere - as designers and stylists embraced a London’s culture club vibe that was so very ‘80s. So, if you’re naturally blessed (lucky you) and even if you’re not (we’ve got tips to cheat), this is how to style it out corkscrew.
From celebs like Pixie Lott and Blake Lively, to all over the AW17 runways - spiral to gypsy to full-on blown out disco, corkscrew curls are having a major moment. Depending on your hair type, there’s 2 ways to style this trend – either by embracing it or cheating it. We break it down both ways, in just a few easy steps.
How-to Embrace It: If you’re a real curly girl, then achieving this look is as easy as encouraging your natural curl patterns with a little bit of product.
1. To re-create, apply Curl Jelly (£7) evenly to damp hair, avoiding the roots.
2. Air-dry or diffuse, scrunching with fingers to encourage curls.
Top Tip: For definition, twirl each lock of curls into a spiral and leave to dry naturally
3. To finish, smooth on Weather Proof Curls Finishing Cream (£7) to areas prone to frizz.
How-to Cheat It: If you’re looking to turn straight to curly, then you must get the right twist on this trend - your wavy can’t be too frizzy, or too coarsely curled. A curling iron is best for playing with corkscrews – just remember, the larger the diameter of the curling iron, the bigger the curls.
1. To re-create, comb through towel-dried hair and make a part. Prep with Curls in a Bottle (£7) to damp hair a section at a time for super strong curl hold.
2. Hand-dry to add volume at the roots, then finish the blow dry with a round barrelled brush.
3. Use a 1” curling iron to create tight curls.
Professional Tip from Ryan Drew of Umberto Giannini Salon, Birmingham: “For tight, orderly curls, twist each hair section first, then wrap around your curling iron in the direction away from your face.”
4. Work a few drops of No More Frizz Curl Serum (£8) between hands and gently twist individual curls for separation and shine.
5. To finish, spray Glam Fix Strong Fix Hairspray (£7) all over for all-day hold.
One of our Umberto Girls, Leah, shares how she achieves her corkscrew curls:
Tried it? Love it?
Tag #UGonMe to share your Corkscrew Curls with us!
Shop this blog: